Friday, January 11, 2008

Playing Hostess...

Last night I had some of my old "ed major" friends over for dinner. We hadn't all gotten together in a long time so I thought it would be fun. It was so much fun. I am getting into the whole cooking thing and have cooked every night this week! (Except Wednesday when I went to Laney's for Bible study and she cooked amazing crab pasta...yummy) Okay I guess I am starting to sound like a fat girl! Cooking my own food also has been saving me a lot of money, although it's hard to cook for just one, it is cheaper than going out.

I made the same Swiss Enchiladas I made from one time this fall when I had mama and daddy' over. They got rave reviews both times. Here is the recipe if anyone wants it. It's really easy and pretty healthy. I used already cooked chicken (the kind you can just throw on a salad).

Ingredients
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 2 breasts)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (4.5-ounce) cans diced green chiles, undrained
1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided


Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken, garlic, chiles, and tomatoes. Reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Set aside.

Combine milk and flour in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook 5 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in salt.

Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture and about 2 1/2 tablespoons cheese down center of each tortilla; roll up. Arrange filled tortillas in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour milk mixture over tortillas, and top evenly with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven.

Preheat broiler.

Broil casserole for 3 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.

Yield
6 servings (serving size: 1 enchilada and about 1/3 cup sauce)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 419(28% from fat); FAT 13.2g (sat 7.9g,mono 3.7g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 33.2g; CHOLESTEROL 79mg; CALCIUM 474mg; SODIUM 726mg; FIBER 4.3g; IRON 2.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 41.8g



Diane Webber , Cooking Light, MAY 2006

I also made a cake for dessert. It was yummy. My roomie from last year made it a lot and I was always sneaking pieces of it. It's really easy to. I don't know the name for it though.

Ingredients

1 Yellow Cake Mix (along with the ingredients to make the cake)
1 package of Instant Vanilla pudding
1 container of 16 oz. Sour Cream
1 package of chocolate chips
1/2 bar of german chocolate (shaved)

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Follow the directions for making the cake. I cooked mine in a bunt pan ( I think that is what they are called...forgive me I am still learning to be the hostess :) ) It is great and you can also eat it for breakfast.

Enjoy! xoxo

2 comments:

60 toes said...

You are really growing up!!! We can even share recipes now...what fun. I am looking forward to trying both.

have a great weekend.

Megan Kuemmerlin said...

I know I know...I was saying that the other day. I know I am old in the fact that I appreciate it when people give me things for my apartment/kitchen...lol.